If you ever wanted to lose weight, feel good about yourself or giving clean eating a go, but don’t quite understand the benefits, this chapter is for you.
So, you have been trying clean eating for some time.
But for some bizarre reason, the benefits keep eluding you putting in goals on hold. Clean eating is part of a healthy lifestyle and setting goals is important to stick to it.
If you’re new to eating clean or have started but need the motivation to carry on working towards your goals, these benefits may help.
1. Reduced Appetite
Clean eating is all about eating balanced portions of protein, healthy fats and carbs which will distribute energy all over the body. This happens after a few hours of eating, and your appetite has become non-existent.
There are a variety of foods and drinks that can help you reduce your appetite but what you need to focus on is the healthy foods such as:
• Almonds – They contain a high amount of antioxidants, magnesium and vitamin E, which after a handful or two will make you feel full and suppress your hunger.
• Black Coffee – A substantial amount of coffee can stop hunger and boost your metabolism. This is due to caffeine, and the high amounts of antioxidants it has.
• Ginger – Not a lot of people are aware, but ginger improves your digestive system but acting as a stimulant which gives more energy to the body making you less hungry. You can find ginger in many foods such as soups and curries. (Don’t go overboard on the curries thou, make them healthy)
• Avocados – High in healthy fats and a good source of fiber, avocados when eaten in moderation will help you feel less hungry. The special thing about avocados is that it tells your body that you full.
• Apples – High in fiber and pectin, apples of all varieties help you feel full. As they require you to chew a lot, your body is signaled as no longer being hungry. Apples are also a great source of energy levels.
2. Increase in Energy
By eating a clean diet, you will feel an increase in energy due to a variety of vitamins you come across.
Eating clean stabilizes your blood sugar levels, which makes you feel less fatigued.
Have you ever felt tired after eating a take-out?
This is because it is mostly processed food and contains a huge amount of carbohydrates and fat.
People who experience a lack of energy have usually had a large breakfast that is full of carbohydrates. To get the energy boost, you need first thing in the morning and one that will last you all day is by having a breakfast that has a balanced with protein, healthy fats, and whole grain carbs. Learning too calculate macronutrients (macro’s) is a great way to find the right balance for your body type.
3. Lower Risk of Disease
The choice of food you decide to eat affects your health in positive and negative ways. Have you considered what puts you at risk and what can prevent diseases such as heart disease and diabetes?
Below we’ll cover three ways of how clean eating can benefit you.
• Obesity – Being over-weight has been linked to many diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. Eating foods that are high in carbs and sugar will increase your weight, causing your organs to work overtime resulting in these types of diseases developing.
• Lack of nutrients – To strengthen your bones, you need to take on enough calcium as it can help prevent the disease osteoporosis. Osteoporosis causes your bones to become weak and in worse cases brittle. Get enough calcium from milk, healthy vegetables or supplements. Remember that calcium supplement are better absorbed if taken with vitamin D.
• High Cholesterol – LDL cholesterol is the main cause of heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Eating foods that have a high amount of saturated fat will cause your cholesterol to rise to unhealthy levels. New data also implicates high carbohydrate diets as a causative factor in high cholesterol. By having a balanced meal of protein, high fats, and carbs you are less likely to be at risk. Diets high in omega 3 fatty acids and whole grain/oats also aids in the reduction of cholesterol levels.
4. Mental Health
There isn’t a specific diet that can assist your mental health. By eating fatty fish such as mackerel, salmon, and sardines, you will be consuming enough omega-3 to keep you healthy.
If you are on medication and putting on weight because of it, eat foods that are low in carbohydrates.
5. Improvement in Sleep
If you’re suddenly waking up, moving around a lot and cannot seem to get any sleep, it is probably due to eating junk food. Eating the late sweet treat and or pizza from the day before could be the culprit. Instead eat something like a handful of nuts that are full of tryptophan.
It is recommended that you consume around 280mg of tryptophan per day. If you noticed on Thanksgiving that you feel a little drowsy, it is because turkey contains tryptophan.
Other foods such as fish, oats, beans, lentils, and eggs contain higher amounts and are a better way of eating clean than sitting down for a turkey dinner.
Data shows that when a person does not get enough sleep their Cortisone levels increase. Cortisone has been found to be a factor that contributes to weight gain in individuals.
6. Healthy Skin
There isn’t enough proof in the world to associate any type of diet with healthy skin. This is not to say you should drop different foods groups all together but rather eat well-balanced meals. Cutting out processed foods is a good start but adding the following nutrients well help you maintain healthy skin.
Vitamin A – This is found in most skin care products and is used to help treat acne.
Zinc – Stops bacteria from forming.
Omega-3 – Usually found in fatty fish, omega-3 will reduce inflammation.
Antioxidants – Protection from the sun is crucial, and antioxidants can be found in vitamin C and Vitamin E.
7. Fewer Sugar Cravings
Clean eating helps your cravings for sugar cease as you’re eating less processed foods which contain a lot of carbohydrates.
If you develop candida, which is a form of yeast infection lives off sugar, and clean eating will ease the pain. Lay off the sugar, and you’re off to a healthy start.
Most diets are only used for short periods like the Ketogenic diet, which should only be used for around to 90 days. Clean eating is more of a lifestyle and is sustainable which makes you feel amazing.
You will be eating a variety of foods that are rich in flavor and will provide you all the nutrients you need to live a healthy and sustainable lifestyle. You will enjoy it as it is not as restrictive as other diet and you are not depriving yourself of anything other than bad processed foods.
No diet can guarantee that you will live a happy longer life, but the benefits above show us that the odds are stacked in our favor.
Are you ready to quit your diet? According to research, women have tried 61 diets before their 45th birthday! Shockin! Going from diet to diet is a vicious circle that only leaves us more overweight each time. Stop the cycles and check out The French Paleo Burn!